For 65 years, this architecture firm has been shaping environments and creating inspiring places through an idea driven, results-oriented approach to design.
Their team of architects, designers, planners and sustainability experts share the belief that design can create profound and unexpected connections between people and place. With a focus in education, residential, urban mixed-use, hospitality, civic, and commercial office projects, their full-service architecture firm creates environments that sculpt space to shape lives in subtle and empowering ways.
Generate and develop innovative design solutions on multiple projects simultaneously and guide design teams from Conceptual Design through Schematics, Entitlements, Design Development, and Construction Documentation. Provide motivation and design leadership to design teams and take initiative to drive design, entitlement, and documentation processes forward with only intermittent oversight and direction. Create a culture of design excellence within teams, and organize all design efforts and client presentations.
• Originate innovative solutions to complex design problems and guide project teams through the development and presentation of these ideas.
• Work simultaneously on multiple projects, including large, complex projects.
• Manage design staff, and coordinate with design consultants, to present and develop design intent through all phases while continually monitoring drawings throughout the process.
• Work closely with Project Architects to ensure that construction documents are consistent with design intent.
• Provide design guidance and oversight so that projects meet the Firm's design standards while protecting the Firm against errors and omissions liability.
• Confer with stakeholders and subconsultants on high-level design strategies to address client needs and budget.
• Manage established design budget regarding staffing and other resources.
• Sustain and raise the Firm's image as a design-driven firm.
• Serve as a resource across the organization by mentoring junior design staff, leading employee performance appraisals, and participating in candidate interviews.
• Stay abreast of design trends of specific project types and take initiative for providing continuing education opportunities for design staff.
• Represent the Firm by actively participating in external professional organizations and office social functions to attract talented design staff.
• Support the Firm’s marketing and business development activities, though involvement in community and civic organizations.
Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in the design and documentation of projects, with a minimum of five (5) of those years as a Project Designer.
• A degree in Architecture, preferable at the graduate level.
• License to practice architecture in California, LEED AP preferred.
• Portfolio with a minimum of 4-5 built projects, with experience in all phases of project delivery, from pre-design through construction administration.
• Diverse portfolio of project types, including multi-family housing and education sector work.
• Substantial experience in design development, architectural design, documentation and detailing on a wide variety of project types.
• Thorough understanding of site planning, building materials, detailing, construction techniques, engineering principles, building codes and construction costs.• Experience dealing with governmental agencies and building/zoning codes.
• Thorough understanding of sustainable practices and industry standards.
• Excellent graphic, verbal and written communication skills, as well as excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Proficiency in relevant computer software:
o Building Information Modeling: Revit 2016 or later
o Rendering: 3D Studio Max, Maxwell Render, Twinmotion, or Enscape
o Modeling: SketchUp or Rhino
o AutoCAD 2016 or later
o Microsoft Office
• Commitment to design innovation and excellence.
• Independent, self-directed and self-motivated.
• Ability to motivate and effectively lead design staff.
• Highly organized.
• Values and personality compatible with the Firm’s culture.