For 65 years, this architecture firm has been shaping environments and creating inspiring places through an idea driven, results-oriented approach to design.
Their team of architects, designers, planners and sustainability experts share the belief that design can create profound and unexpected connections between people and place. With a focus in education, residential, urban mixed-use, hospitality, civic, and commercial office projects, their full-service architecture firm creates environments that sculpt space to shape lives in subtle and empowering ways.
Responsible for cultivating and maintaining client relationships and creating profitable projects which comply with code, contractual obligations and exceed client expectations. Collaborate with Project Designers with a view toward maintaining design intent.
Assists Firm by communicating expertise internally, effectively managing staff and assisting the Firm in demonstrating expertise with new clients.
• Ensure a high level of sustainable design is integrated into projects.
• Act as a mentor, especially to those who aspire to excel in Project Management.
• Create a sense of trust and urgency with clients to create confidence in the Firm’s ability to manage its assets on each project.
• Work with clients collaboratively, developing repeat business and long-term relationships with clients.
• Participate in the technical review and quality assurance/quality control of projects, and other projects, by reviewing various levels of documentation (schematic design, design development, construction documents, bidding and construction administration) for completeness.
• Inspire others through open discourse on design, supporting the importance of quality design transforming our work and our Firm.
• Promote a fun and collaborative work culture.
• Represent the Firm by actively participating in external professional organizations and office social functions to attract talented design staff.
• Support marketing and business development activities though involvement in community and civic organizations.
• Working with the Marketing Director, meet with prospective clients to learn about their requirements and acquaint them with the Firm.
• Attend and participate in business development events on a biweekly or as needed basis, ensuring that the Firm is well recognized within multiple markets.
• Assist Principal-in-Charge, Project Managers, and Project Designers in developing marketing materials and marketing project narratives.
• Participate in marketing meetings and interviews.
• Responsible for developing white papers and thought leadership pieces for industry organizations.
• Ensure that the programmatic requirements are incorporated into project design.
• Guide the development of schematic design in sync with project schedule.
• Advocate for design excellence internally and with clients.
• Provide guidance and direction to ensure presentations and deliverables meet a high standard of graphic quality that exceed client expectations and advance the reputation of the Firm.
• Manage project teams.
• Work directly with Managing Principal and Principal-in-Charge on backlog, staffing, contracts, etc.
• Work with the Project Designer to understand design intent.
• Understand client standards and policies for project completion.
• Understand client project approval processes.
• Understand all regulatory agencies with jurisdiction on projects.
• Develop project team structure.
• Inform all team members, including consultants, of project protocol.
• Ensure the profitable completion of projects from beginning to end.
• Engage in Firm-wide market discussions and office business strategy discussions.
• As the Firm growth continues into new markets and new regions, play an active role in the development of our growth.
Perform the following aspects of project management, guiding others in the Firm both by example and direct intervention:
• Determine project personnel requirements.
• Effectively coordinate and schedule all work performed by project team and consultants within time and budget.
• Lead weekly staff meetings to assure proper staffing resources for projects in keeping within project budgets and scope of work.
• Effectively coordinate the design team, monitor project deliverables, schedule and budget requirement and oversee project implementation through each phase of design process.
• Participate in the annual performance review of employees, further developing staff skills and growth through open dialogue.
Budget and Schedule:
• Apply knowledge of project costs and develop detailed project budget from initial estimates.
• Develop detailed project schedule.
• Communicate key deliverable dates to project team.
• Track and project backlog of current and potential projects.
• Track accounts receivable for responsible projects, ensuring the timely payment of invoices.
• Maintain or exceed profit goals for project.
• Define scope from initial project information and prepare associated fee proposals, schedules, work plans and additional service requests as required.
• Assist in review and preparation of the architectural contract for the project.
• Ensure that legal and professional liability issues are taken into consideration.
• Direct the effort to extract and document user and owner requirements for the project.
• Ensure that requirements are communicated to entire team, in particular, the designer.
• Apply familiarity with engineering disciplines; ensure that engineering requirements are integrated into the project.
• Apply knowledge of building materials and construction techniques.
• Direct the development of drawings, specifications and bid documents using knowledge of construction, furniture, furnishings and equipment selection criteria and specifications.
• Review A/E agreements, identify potential risk, and coordinate directly with the Principal-in-Charge and Legal Counsel on the final terms of the agreements.
• Apply knowledge of building and planning codes and ADA requirements to review construction documents prior to submission for approval.
• Direct the preparation of documents required for project approval.
• Work with public agencies to provide information necessary to obtain approval.
• Represent the client with appropriate public agencies.
• Implement policy for maintaining project files.
• Make qualitative decisions on graphic communications.
• Ensure that meeting notes are complete and distributed to project team.
• Ensure that client is adequately briefed on project progress.
• Alert client to potential problems and their solution.
• Lead periodic project meetings, presentations and public hearings.
• Minimum ten (10) years of design and project management experience.
• A degree in Architecture, preferable at the graduate level, related field or equivalent experience required. License to practice architecture in California, LEED AP preferred.
• Proficiency in relevant computer software:
o Building Information Modeling: Revit 2016 or later
o Rendering: 3D Studio Max, Maxwell Render, Twinmotion, or Enscape
o Modeling: SketchUp or Rhino
o AutoCAD 2016 or later
o Microsoft Office
• Must have experience in and knowledge of developing project proposals and presentations, and the ability to present functional project designs.
• Lean methodologies of project management a plus.
• Strong experience and skills associated with managing prime and consultant contracts.
• Must have thorough understanding of sustainable practices and industry standards.
• Must have thorough knowledge of applicable building codes.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as excellent time management skills.
• Solid knowledge of industry practices.
• Values and personality compatible with the Firm.
• Highly organized, detail-driven and conscientious.
• Demonstrated leadership experience with a good head for the business of architecture.
• Evidence of entrepreneurial orientation.
Contact Us: 213-335-4696